Friday, June 29, 2012

Grandma Lane

 So much has happened these past couple of years. I'd feel ungrateful if I didn't thank my Heavenly Father for all of it. . . even the trials we've had. He knows me and who I can become. I'm grateful for my Grandma Lane and the influence she has had in my life. I'm thankful for wonderful parents making the decision to take care of her. Because of their decision I've learned more about what it means to serve, to be like him. I thought I knew, taking dinners to people, helping babysitting but really I had no idea. 
 These pictures are some of the last ones taken at Grandma's house. I asked my wonderful sister in law to take pictures around her house because I knew as time past, if I didn't have these pictures it would become a faded memory. When we sold our home my parents asked if we would be interested in renting their house and they would get another place so grandma could live with them. We thought it would be a good idea A year ago on the 4th my parents asked my Grandma if she would live with them. Grandma thought about it all night, didn't sleep and by morning she had a decision. She said yes. She lived in this home since 1959. Wonderful memories here and everything has always remained the same, the 30 years I've been on this earth. As time has passed, she stopped knitting because her hands would hurt, stopped volunteering because she has gotten tired and hasn't been able to do as much for herself.
 You can imagine how hard this was for my grandma. Although she knew it was right leaving and getting rid of everything she has had that has been a part of her was different and not easy. Grandma moved in January of this year and I would take the kids to see her. My parents work long hours and she also stopped driving so she was home all day. I know what it's like to be home all day. It can be depressing so we started picking Grandma up almost everyday to go with us to the park or just come over. 
 It hasn't been always easy but I have come to understand that serving isn't always easy or convenient. The blessings I've received and my children have received far out way the inconvenience it may sometimes bring. Grandma is doing much better and I've gotten used to having her around and she has definitely felt a lot better. I don't know what these next couple of years will bring or when Grandma will be sent home but I feel grateful for now and this opportunity we have to become close.
 Grandma still had this rotary phone. Today at my moms she still stands up and leans on the counter when she is talking on the phone. She isn't used to wireless.
 We used to sing and perform when we were little on this fireplace hearth.

 Grandma taught me how to sew on her sewing machine


 My favorite room
 My Uncle Bill is an amazing artist. He drew the pictures in the back.

 My mom made this when she first got married.



So many great memories at 1000 Tropicana Way

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh my, I absolutley love that you took pictures in her house, I wish I would of done something similar before my grandma passes away, I will now with the other, thanks do sharing that

Sundbergs said...

That was so beautiful. You will treasure these forever

trisha said...

so cute! Um, i need one of those darling beds for brynnley!!