Sunday, June 10, 2012

Goodbye Altima!



 So bittersweet! The Altima sold last week. Keys were handed over, money was given to James and we sat and talked about all the memories and times in our lives that car has been there. It was so good to us and will never be forgotten. James bought the car, his first car ever bought in 1999. I remember seeing that car in the parking lot at Ralphs where we both worked. At the time, it was only a couple years old and I thought it was impressive that James was working 2 jobs at the time and had his own car. The first year we were married the car was paid off. It got James to work and school full time everyday. It got him through his Masters. I was having troubles with my Mazda 626 in 2005 and we decided to get a new car for me and James keep the Altima. He never complained about driving it. In 2010 right before Carter was born the car died. We got it fixed but James was driving long miles, it was best for him to drive the Camry. I drove the Altima locally for the past 2 years. Jessica taught me how to drive stick shift one night and I started driving the kids in it.
 I have to admit I hated it. At first I didn't mind but it wore on me. It was old and falling apart. We never got hubcaps on it when we got married because we weren't planning to have it around so long. Then we didn't want to put anymore money into it. It was embarrassing though pulling up in my beat up car while these other moms are pulling up in their Armadas and Sequoias. It humbled me and I kept my head high. I know this was a stepping stone in our life together. Driving this Altima aloud me to stay home with my children, no greater joy. (James new car is in the background!)
 James insisted I get a bigger car for the kids and me but I just couldn't. James has worked so hard for us. Since James was 18 he took the bus to work, he finally got a car at the age of 23. He has worked so hard, he deserved a brand new car, one that he loved and wanted and picked, besides the car I want is out of budget right now but maybe in a couple years will be able to afford it :) James got a Passat 2012. It's so nice and drives wonderfully! James is happy so I am too! I'm happy the car is gone though, I feel growth in our lives . . . onto bigger and better things!







4 comments:

Heidi said...

So cute I love car memories!

Todd Family said...

i can tell what pics joce took! lol that car was a lot of fun! man if only u still had the altima and i had the van...we would be the coolest mom's around! :) i think everyone needs to drive a beat up car sometime in their lifetime for sure!

Sarah said...

That car was a good buy...you got lots of years out of it!! It is fun to have cars and things that remind us if where we came from. It is awesome you paid it off the first year you were married!! You both look great, btw:).

Sundbergs said...

Awww memories of the car James had when you met so bitter sweet! So excited for your new car and for James he works so hard. You are such a good wife and mom to make the necessary sacrifices!