Thursday, May 31, 2012

Opportunities to Teach our children

I am always looking for ways to teach my kids. I always have a prayer within my heart that these opportunities come. I stay home with my kids so I can teach them these things. Life gets so busy that I pray that it slows down enough to have these experiences together. I know some of these experiences come from making the effort on our part. Yesterday after an already busy day of grocery shopping, preschool graduation, kids naps, and swim lessons I decided to get gas before we went by grandmas for a visit. We were on super low gas and I knew I needed to get gas before I ran out. I pulled up and a man with old clothes on asks a man for change. Originally my thought was to not make eye contact but as I turned my head I looked in the backseat and could see my daughter staring at me.

A week earlier, as a family we went to Mission Inn. Before we left I was getting a migraine and had to sit down. James said he would get the car so I didn't have to walk. There were quite a few homeless people walking around. As I was sitting there a man came up to me with missing teeth, old clothes and dirty and asked if I was ok. I thought it was very sweet, especially since everyone else was just walking past. So back to the gas station.

After my daughter's look at me I felt this was a perfect opportunity to teach. She has never seen me give someone money. After making eye contact he said do you have any change? I said let me see what I have. I pulled out a dollar and I knew my daughter was watching and handed it to him. I get in the car and she says "Mom why did you do that?" She had a ton of questions following that. "Mom go get your dollar. Do you have another one?" This was a perfect lesson for her. We begin talking about all that we have and some people don't have all that we have. We have a nice home and car and clothes and food.

I understand there are many homeless people that spend the money they get on alcohol or drugs but when we give it is because the spirit prompted us too and we don't need to be concerned about what they do with that money.


The Savior taught His disciples, “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.” 5
I believe the Savior is telling us that unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives. Those who live only for themselves eventually shrivel up and figuratively lose their lives, while those who lose themselves in service to others grow and flourish—and in effect save their lives .Thomas S Monson"
Last night saying prayers before bed we prayed for that homeless man. I continue to pray for these opportunities to teach and that I may say the things that will touch my childrens hearts. 

1 comment:

Todd Family said...

you are so amazing Jenn! I seriously look up to your example as a mother and person so much. i was just telling kev that i hope i can teach my kids as much as u do! it can be difficult but i look to u for inspiration so thank you!love you!