Sunday, May 20, 2012

Dos Lagos 5K and 1K


A friend of mine told me about the annual Dos Lagos in Corona 5K and 1K. Jocelynn has never been to a race to see me run. She always asks if she could come and I thought this would be a perfect opportunity and asked her if she wanted to run. She was so excited and the fact that she got a medal also was so exciting for her. The night before she kept asking questions before she went to bed. I went to Dos Lagos Friday to pick up our packets which included our numbers and a shirt. 

That night Carter woke up throwing up. I was up all night with him. At 3am I woke up James and said you've got to get Carter I need a couple hours of sleep before this race. The morning I called my mom and she came. It was nice of her to come so Jocelynn could see me run. James was bummed that he couldnt see Jcoelynn's first race but we know there will be other opportunities. 





 Stretching before the run. I ran first and I loved the smile on Jocelynn's face as she watched me run. I felt like she was really proud as she was smiling and waving to me.
 My time was 27 minutes. 



 My parents, Jessica, and grandma came to cheer her on. She was nervous when it was about to start because she didn't understand where she was running. I held her hand and we ran together when it started. I said ok I'm going to let go of your hand now, are you ready? She said yes and kept running. I of course was running watching her the whole time. I was so proud of her.

 These are the kids of the mommies I go running with.
 She told me she met a friend while running and they even held hands :) The little girl told her she had an orange tree in her backyard by her room and Jocelynn asked of she wanted to hold her hand. I don't know how she had time to talk about this.

After crossing the finish line, which we all cheered she got a medal. Jocelynn is a very quiet girl. I know these experiences will build her confidence and I look for these experiences so her self esteem will continue to rise. I was so happy to be able to do this with her. I think this will be an every year event!




2 comments:

Todd Family said...

100% agree! she did so awesome and you are such an awesome mom to give her these opportunities!!

Sundbergs said...

What a great experience so proud of her and you.