Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Craigslist SCAM

I thought I'd share this with everyone. Just make sure if you sell stuff on Craigslist, you accept cash and if they send a check in the mail, take it to their bank and cash it. I'm selling my parent's oak hutch on Craigslist. I got a buyer that was interested and planning to send me a check. This is the last email I got. Don't fall for it! If it's too complicated, something is not right.

He wanted me to take his check to my bank and then wire immediately about $800 back to him. He's crazy! Luckily, I understand that checks take awhile to clear. . . . check never came, of course because I told him I would be taking it to his bank. Too bad this creep has my parent's address. Read below:

Re: Oak Hutch - Beautiful for family room - $600 (South Corona)‏
From:
Sent:Mon 8/03/09 10:39 PM
To:Jennifer Ward (jlw12antiques@hotmail.com)
I just received the confirmation from the Bank that the payment has been issued out and was mailed by the United Parcel Service(Ups). It will be delivered to your address, but to my greatest surprise the check was issued out for 1560 instead of the actual cost of my purchase.

The Bank claimed that i requested for such an amount on the check to be issued out to you but I am very sure I only made a request for the cost of the goods to be made out to your name . This is a terrible mistake and i was just informed about this so please once the check is received please take it to your Bank and have it cashed as advised by the accounting officer at the Bank. You will then deduct the cost of my purchase plus an extra $50 to offset the cost of your run around expenses.The rest of the fund should be sent to my assistant via western union the same day you do receive the payment so that my she can make the trip over for the pick at once.

**I will need your immediate response assuring me that I can rely on you to handle this with care and have the remaining fund returned appropriately. I hope that your intentions remains noble through out the duration of this transaction and even after it** Please reply me back immediately.

4 comments:

Tyler Jorgenson said...

Ask him how the weather in Nigeria is this time of year.

Heidi said...

Crazy. Yeah we have a few things post (my mother in-laws daycare, etc) and we always get RANDOM/WEIRD emails...Do you need to make money? Etc? Its getting worse... unfortuntely some people start to ruin it for everyone. So Sad.

IzzieGuire said...

hahaha..I second Nigeria!! I got the same type of scam trying to sell my sister's car!! Thx for sharing! It's sad that so many people actually fall for that!!

Erin G. said...

I always get at least one scam email when I post something on craigslist. I would only take cash if I were you. We just sold a horse trailer for $4200 and only accepted cash so $600 shouldn't be a big deal to someone. There are so many of these people out there. It's really annoying. Another time someone wanted to buy our horses sight-unseen. Yeah right!!