Monday, August 10, 2009

Sprint Triathlon at Camp Pendleton

I have only been in two 5k races but I love working out and would probably do more races if they were free. One night my sister called me up and told me about the Sprint Triathlon. It took me weeks to sign up but I finally just did it! In the mornings, I would work out at the gym and at night I would swim laps. I was still nervous because I know it's a lot different swimming in the ocean.
The distance was 500 yards in the ocean, 18 mile bike ride and 3 mile run.

Unfortunately because James fractured his shin, he couldn't come. My mom came over the night before and gave me a basket full of wonderful things (socks, gatorade, wrist bands, icy hot etc). She wasn't able to make it either because she had a wedding to go to at 11am but decided as she was over that she would leave with me at 430am to get down there. We got there in plenty of time and I was glad we got there early. Thanks mom for coming!!!
Here's me with my number (my favorite number is 12 so I was glad to have that as part of my number :) The anticipation was incredible. I just wanted the race to start. It was so organized which didn't surprise me because it was on base.
This is where everyone parked the bikes and started the swim in the ocean. The swim was awesome. It was so neat to be so far out in the ocean. I didn't want to start out fast so I tried to pace myself. I swallowed water several times. In the middle, I got a boost of energy and coming into shore was the hardest because a big wave would come over you and then pull you back. I thought I'd never make it but once I hit shore it was the best feeling. It took me about 15 minutes.

Bike: I changed and got onto my bike and got going. There weren't many with mountain bikes and that's what I had. I couldn't get the gears right and that was the most frustrating. I would be pedaling just as fast as others and they would zoom right by me. I took the longest on the bike ride (it took me almost 2 hours!!). I plan to get a racer bike soon. I was so happy when I was done with the bike.

Running: There weren't any inclines and this was the easiest part. The men in the marines would start running with you and pushing you to run faster or keep going. IT was incredible. Crossing the finish line was amazing and I was full of emotion. It was a feeling of accomplishment.

My mom and I before the race began.
After I changed I asked someone to take a picture of me by the finish line. My time was like 2 hours and 31 minutes. It took me a lot longer because of the bike but that's ok because I just wanted to finish and next time I can work on getting a good time.

I think the lesson I learned was that don't doubt yourself. My parents always taught me that "believing is achieving." There were times that I doubted I could do it but I tried to stay positive. I think anyone that doesn't think they can should sign up and prove themselves wrong because when you cross that finish line, it's so worth it!!!!!!!

10 comments:

Sarah said...

That is fabulous! I would love to try a triathlon but I am intimidated by the swim. Someday--you are inspiring! I LOVE the basket your mom made too--what a great mom. Congrats again!

Tanya said...

Awesome!!!! I have always wanted to try that but it makes me nervous. Good for you!

aprilaleman said...

What a cool achievement! Yeah for you! :)

Heidi said...

YOU ARE AWESOME! I have done a full marathon a number of halfs and STILL wont dare do any triathalon (not even s sprint)...go Jen! If you do another one though let me know, maybe we can even train together, becaue I want to do one just to say I have...but I am scared. I want to hear all about it.

And how TOTALLY cute your mom is. That basket is SO sweet! How fun!

Todd Family said...

hey! I am so glad you did it! I wish I could've been there with you, maybe next time! I am so glad that you stuck with it even when you called me worried about the swim part! SEE IT JUST MOTIVATED YOU!! Great job Jenn!

The Hardy's said...

Great job! Love the post! You are such an awesome girl!!! I will have to try a sprint tri one of these days!

Sundbergs said...

I am so proud of you. You did an awesome job. After I have the baby we have to do one together. Good job on doing it I knew you could.

Kristin Milius said...

You are freakin crazy!!!!!!!! In fact I think you should be committed...J/K but not really

IzzieGuire said...

Wow Jenn! What an achievement! I'm so proud of you! I give you mad props cause I hate running! For reals...although I could use some..but back to you ;)...I'm really proud of you!! Congrats!!!

Violet said...

wow!!! That is so awesome. I am so proud of you. I would love to do a triathlon some day. Let me know if you are doing it next year.