Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Habits are so hard to break!

It all started with the door being left open. Jocelynn didn't become a good sleeper till about 10 months. After a year, I could put her down, shut the door and she would turn over and go right to sleep. It was every mother's dream. She would sleep 11 or 12 hours and then go down for a nap during the day. . . . But every mother also knows that it never stays that way, things change. . and so did her sleeping :(
When James and I got home from Oregon, Jocelynn decided that she didn't want to sleep, although she was tired. She wanted the door open and somehow . . . I started to sit down with her until she fell asleep. I don't even remember how it happened. Slowly, it went from the door open to me laying with her. Well because I would sit with her she would wake up every couple of hours needing me there. It would also take her about an hour or longer to go to sleep. What had I done?? She would freak out if I walked away! I created a habit and it was so hard breaking. I didn't want her to feel scared or that I was abandoning her but I wanted her to know that she didn't need me to sleep.

Anyhow. . .the past week was rough. I let her cry and she doesn't need me to go to sleep with her now. We leave the door open and light on but she sleeps through the night again. I hated hearing her cry, I always feel like a horrible mom to admit that I've let her cry to sleep. I was on my knees praying so hard that he would comfort her and for her to stop. I cried. It was 23 minutes the first night, 15 the second night, 5 minutes last night and I'm sure she'll go right to sleep tonight. I will never create that habit again because I don't want to go through the pain of breaking the habit!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! I am glad you updated. You did good. It's always hard to let them cry, but it is good that you are teaching her she is okay. Doesn't it feel good to get some sleep again?

Kim said...

I know how you feel. I recently had to let Clay cry himself asleep because he was waking up for now real reason. Its hard and heart breaking.

Violet said...

I hear ya on this one. Benjamin still isn't a very good sleeper. Somehow I broke his habit of falling asleep for naps on his own. So that means I'm going to have to let him cry it out again. It is amazing how it slowly changes without you even realizing it. :0(

Todd Family said...

i'm sorry you had to go through that...but what doesn't break you makes you stronger! :) lets hope she sleeps when i spend the night...but if not i guess i will keep her entertained! :)

Kristin Milius said...

It is rough but it is a must...Good job..

Erin G. said...

It's so hard to listen to that cry. You're lucky that it wasn't for much longer - 23 minutes isn't bad compared to other stories I've heard. Max is the same way though - he doesn't cry for hours on end like some babies can and it's a good thing because I would never be able to let him do it. It breaks my heart too much.