Sunday, April 3, 2011

Utah State University


In 2006 I received my Bachelors and started the Special Ed credential program. It didn't feel right. During that time, through prayer, the spirit told me to drop out of the credential program and it was time to have a baby. I have many memories at Cal State Fullerton, especially because James and I were newlyweds together and because we are both alumni from there. Go Titans! But . . .

When Carter was 6 weeks old I started a new program, online, at Utah State. It's amazing how our Heavenly Father leads and guides us to where he knows we need to be. When I dropped out in 2006 I felt like a quitter but I'm so glad I did. He had a different plan for me. It's been different taking upper division classes with children. . . 2 children. I do regret taking a class when Carter was that little. Many say have no regrets but I think in order for us to grow and learn, regrets are ok. We all have regrets. My friend warned me not to, that I should wait a semester but I didn't listen. When I'm determined to do something I know that I can do it, and nothing will stop me. Last semester, I signed up for 2 classes and everything was fine but both kids got sick, our family was adjusting to a new baby and we were selling our place. My mom came over one evening and I hadn't slept in a week. I cried. She asked if I dropped a class or both classes. Again, I didn't want to quit, I was determined. She asked me why am I doing this to myself? I looked online the last day to drop and it was that day! I dropped the class 9pm. I still took one class that semester and that was still a lot. I feel differently about the pressure I feel to finish school. It'll happen in time. I was thinking I should take 3 classes and then I'll be done next year and maybe I should take summer school. 2 classes is enough. I work on school when my children go to bed. I am exhausted. Carter is still getting up 2 times in the night. I have 4 weeks till this semester is over and I can't wait. I have 9 classes left till I get a 2nd Bachelors in Communication Disorders. I don't know what I'll do from there. I need to get my Masters to become a Speech Pathologist but I will follow the spirit with what to do and I know if I do that, everything will work out in time.

I forgot that when school is going on that it takes up all your time. I miss having time for myself. When the kids go to bed, I miss working on a craft, working out, or doing something that I want to do. Instead I start studying. I love the feeling of accomplishment that school brings. I also love how it helps you to organize your time better. I have plans for the 14 week summer break. I have a lot of church projects I want to finish for my children. (That's for another post). I have some sewing projects and crafts I want to finish also.

I'm grateful for this online program. It has been nice to not have to be away from home. I'm excited to have a career as a speech pathologist. I do love having a career at home though and I'm loving this time in my life!

My sister is a Utah State graduate. She says we aren't true Aggies unless we kiss on the bull! So James and will have to make that trip! Can I be an Aggie and Titan fan? James says no.

2 comments:

Todd Family said...

UTAH STATE HEY! AGGIES ALL THE WAY!! GO AGGIES GO AGGIES HEY! HEY! HEY!! So proud of you Jenn and even more proud that you are going to USU! :) BUT I have to correct you...you are a true aggie if you kiss on the A but a TRUE BLUE aggie if you ride the bull...naked. lol. Don't worry...me and Kev are only true aggies...for now. lol jk!! So proud and SO impressed with all your hard work!! And yes...you can be both...I'm a Jazz fan and a Celtics fan! :)

Sundbergs said...

I know this has been so hard for you (and me). I am so happy that we have been able to do this together. It has helped os much. I feel you on the ups and downs with it all. I am just gald we can go through this together. You are doing amazing so keep up the good work. I better go finish my paper I took a break and went blog surfing, but back to business.