Sunday, April 17, 2011

Jocelynn's First Talk

Today was a sweet moment as a mom. Jocelynn gave her first talk in Primary today. It's not appropriate to record at church so I didn't but wanted to write down what happened. 2 weeks ago the counselor in Primary called and asked if Jocelynn would give a talk, about 5 sentences. I agreed and immediately told Jocelynn. She was thrilled!! She has been wanting to get up like the other kids. The topic was "Jesus is our Savior and Redeemer!" Perfect for the month of April, considering Easter is next week. We kept going over the sentences and it didn't take long for her to memorize it. Saturday I got a call from the same counselor that she messed up the date and it was the following week. Jocie was a little disappointed but forgot about it all week. The night before she was so excited. She wanted us all to be there! The next day after sacrament we went into Primary and she sat in the chair. My mom, dad, James and I were sitting in the back. I knew that if I sat next to her, then she would most likely want me to do it for her. I thought I'd first try to see if she could do it herself. I knew she could. I was so nervous!!! My stomach hurt for her. I didn't want her to be nervous. She was not making eye contact with us and was looking at the wall. I was wondering what she was thinking about. They asked her to go up and looked at me and I said she can do it. She walked up the pulpit and kept swallowing. I almost walked up there to save her and she started speaking. I could have cried. Jocelynn is a very bright girl. I tell her all the time that she will be an amazing leader someday. Everyone was listening to her. When she was done Sister Jensen said "Boys and Girls, Jocelynn can't even read and she just gave a talk." James leaned over and said "she can read :)" I think she gained a lot of confidence through that experience.

"Jesus is the Son of God. He teaches us to love each other. He is our example. I love Jesus and I know he loves me and you. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."

2 comments:

Sundbergs said...

I am so proud of her. She is such a big girl

Todd Family said...

AH! I love it! She is so sweet and I love when she swallows! ;) It's so cute! Wish we were there, but I am so happy for her!! Tell her Aunt Jessie and Uncle Kev are very proud of her! :)