Wednesday, April 29, 2009

104 temp

So yesterday was kind of a scare for me. I think it was more of a scare because of the whole Swine flu going around. I've been staying updated with what's been going on and I know sometimes the media can be overly dramatic but because it's at a Phase 4 (now Phase 5) and we are so close to Mexico, kind of scary. Jocelynn woke up from a nap yesterday with a cough, runny nose and feeling tired. I took her temperature and it was 101. Although it was 101 she was playing and happy. I could tell she was still not herself though. She had a good appetite for dinner and when I put her to bed she went right to sleep.

I should have given her Tylenol before bed but because she wasn't complaining much I didn't. The mother's intuition was kicking in. I told James before bed, "should I sleep in her room?" I could not go to sleep, I just was concerned that she wasn't okay. It was almost midnight and I lay awake in my room. All of sudden I hear her cough and then she's throwing up,  I run in her room and don't have my glasses on but there's throw up everywhere and it's red! I should not have read about the Swine Flu before bed because it made me paranoid. I said "James she's throwing up blood!" My calm husband says, "Jennifer, it's watermelon!" Oh! She was sweating and shaking. I hated the feeling of feeling hopeless and not being able to make her feel better. She just kept throwing up and I took her temperature and it was 104. I called my mom. We could have just waited it out but because her temp was so high I got scared so we went in to the hospital. They gave her a big Tylenol pill in her rectum! I felt so bad for her but her temperature went down immediately. They said they needed to give her a catheter to see if she has a urinary tract infection. I was thinking" Dang it!" I had to hold her down while they did this and it was the worst! 

After a couple of hours, they just sent us home. It was reassuring though to know she'd be okay. I'm grateful to have insurance! She finally fell asleep at 230am. She woke up at 6am and then fell back asleep till 10am. She woke up with a temp of 101 but at least it is down. I don't know how parents do it with sick children. I have been blessed that Jocelynn has been a healthy child. We've been home all day and I think I have sanitized my home up and down!!  She's had a long nap so I'm hoping she'll feel back to herself when she wakes up . . .I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

Todd Family said...

Oh Jocelynn!!! I would probably be scared too thinking it's blood! but i can just see you running in all crusty, not being able to see and all. haha! i'm glad she's feeling better! hopefully after that long nap she's okay!

Heidi said...

We all had the same thing a few weeks ago...it seemed like cold symptoms, but with MAJOR fevers (all of us, Ella, Asher, me, and Ned) so it was worrisome). We took Ella too urgent care and found out it was this flu virus that everyone has been getting it...but yeah with this swine thing and everythign else going on it is scary.

Anonymous said...

THat's awful. I am glad she is doing better. Keep us updated.

Unknown said...

That would be quite the scare! I too am paranoid about the swine flu over here - scary times. I'm glad her temp is down.

Kristin Milius said...

Oh I hope she feels better. It is no fun being sick!

The Little family said...

Poor Jocelynn!! It stinks when you can't help them to feel better...then they just have to ride it out!? It's the worst. I hope she feels better soon!