Saturday, April 28, 2012

Hollywood Half Marathon

 April 7th was the Hollywood Half Marathon. This was my second marathon. I hurt me knee a month before the race but was able to make it through. I was hoping to beat my time of 2 hours and 2 minutes but every course is different and this course was a lot harder then my first. My first race is was great having James there with me. This time I was going with girls from my ward. I got  babysitter that day and we headed out to Hollywood at 3pm. I was so excited. That week Carter started climbing out of his crib so to get a good night sleep in a hotel I was looking forward to it. We got to our hotel, the Hilton and checked in. We got our shirts and bibs and went down to City Walk to eat a dinner full of carbs. We ate some pizza and walked back to out room. 
 It was a great room with a great view. We had a King size bed and I was going to sleep on the couch but the 3 of us ended up sharing a bed and I was glad because it was a lot more comfortable. We kept talking and at 1030 we all decided we better stop because we had to get up at 430. The alarm went off and I felt great! Remember during the week I was getting up every 2-3 hrs so to get a full 6 hrs of sleep I was ready to run. The race started at city walk and it was great. The first 10 miles I was going a great speed and felt awesome. I hit mile 10 though and I was hurting the incline was steep and it was that way for a couple miles. Flory caught up to me at mile 11 or 12 and I was struggling. She pushes me and I love it. She is great up the hills. We made it up the hill and my legs were killing me. It was flat the rest of the way and she started running really fast. I thought I was going to die. If she wasn't there I probably would not have ran so fast so it was neat running across together. I finished at 2 hours and 8 minutes. 6 minutes more then my first time but this hill was tough. 
 Back at the hotel room after the race with our medals!


 Ladies from the ward and I run with during the week!
They emailed the pictures below. I couldn't stop laughing because I didn't know there was a camera. You can tell I was struggling. I've learned to really love running. It's tough, it's a great workout and I relate it a lot to life. Many times you think while you are running how hard it is, why did I do this? I want to quit but as you continue you realize you can make it. It's a mental thing. 
 Crossing the finish line!





 As you can see from my face, I'm struggling

 Oh man, it hurts :)


A smile with the finish!

Next race, Fontana half and I signed up for my first marathon St George for Oct 6. I find out May 14th if I got in. 26 miles? what am I thinking? I secretly hope I don't get in :)

3 comments:

Heidi said...

CONGRATS! I will see you at Fontana. My FIL and BIL are doing the half, I may do the 5k, and the kids are all doing the kids race. And I am so excited your doing St. George, we go every year to that one too, so I can cheer you on! So excited, you gonna love it, it's a beautiful, good race. My PERSONAL recommendation (of course just me talking) is walk the hill, run the rest (I wish'd I'd done that, rather trying to run the entire thing).

Sundbergs said...

I am so proud of you. You are so strong. I am glad it was such a fun expeirence.

Todd Family said...

I'm so happy you love to run too! It definitely is a mental thing! I really hope we can run a half together before one of us gets pregnant again! I guess you can technically still run while pregnant though! :) so proud of you!