Sunday, October 23, 2011

Discipline







So my Jocie is so sweet but like all children she can test the boundaries at times. I know that some children test the boundaries more then others. I haven't had the easiest time with her. As parents we want our children to listen and respect authority. Well what if they don't? I have tried all kinds. Time out, spanking, taking toys away, etc. Someone in our ward speaks at conferences for Moms. Go to powerofmoms.com to check out her site. She gave a class on discipline and I learned so much. She has a clip chart she uses for her children. I asked how old the kids were when she started using that. She said 5. I was thinking man, I've got to figure something out. Time out would not work for Jocelynn. She would be in hysterics and I'd finally hug her. She hates to get in trouble. I went to my friend Melinda's house and she showed me something she did. I loved it!!!! Perfect for this age and let me tell you, it has worked wonders for the past 6 months. Jocie still tests boundaries but she quickly changes her behavior when I mention I will move her clip. Here's how it works, I think it's perfect for ages beginning 3! -

  • Jocie and I made the faces together so she was involved
  • I usually give her a warning and if she does not stop the behavior, I simply tell her I will move her clip and she will not get a sticker for the day.
  • If she moves her clip again to the sad face with the tears, then we will not read her a book before bed and no sticker.
  • If she gets 5 stickers on her chart, she picks from the toy box.
When I started this we were very consistent with it! She hates when I say I will move her clip. She's a pleaser and does not like that Daddy will see that she got her clip moved. She has been really good so we haven't had to use it. Some days she brings it up and I tell her to put 2 stickers on her chart because we've gone 2 weeks without using it. The other day though I had to use it and it worked great. I don't have to yell or get upset. I know every child is different. She loves reading books before bed so this really upsets her. I know giving our children rules is important. I know the feeling of when you feel like things are out of control or you don't feel like you have a handle on your own child. I posted this because I thought it may help someone and you could try it with your own child!

3 comments:

Todd Family said...

we'll have to try it out with Zealynn when that time comes! thanks! :)

Sundbergs said...

You are such a good mommy. Jocie is such a sweet girl. I love that we can learn from each other

Jill Duncan said...

That's a great idea Jenn. Time out works great for Kaelyn, and counting to 3 works great for her too. But Austin is a completely different child and the things that work for Kaelyn do not work so well for him. I will have to keep this in mind when he gets a little older, Thanks!