Monday, August 6, 2012

My baby is going to Kindergarten

 The past couple of days my thoughts have been on this little girl. Thinking about how quickly our time together at home has past and all the memories and moments of learning we have shared. I prayed and had sleepless nights for months about whether or not to start her. She is an October birthday so I could have waited. Seeing how she interacts with the other kids, how well she reads, and knows her math. We decided it was time for her and a very hard decision. I'm looking forward to more memories with her. I'm looking forward to volunteering in her classroom, to seeing her excitement to show us her classroom, her confidence to introduce us to her new friends. I'm not looking forward to being home on her first day of school, wondering how she was doing, was everyone being nice to her, would she speak up if she had to use the restroom. The principal called last week to tell me she was moved to morning Kindergarten. She knew several kids from afternoon so it makes me a little nervous but I know she will make new friends and love school! I couldn't help but reflect over these past 5 years. The best years of my life. There's a lot I've done without because I chose to stay home but so many moments in my heart that have made me grow as a person.
  • the first year of Jocelynn's life, lots of tears and walks in the stroller
  • Trips to Disneyland and the park
  • Hiking up the hill at the McKinley park
  • playdates
  • Painting, coloring
  • Preschool
  • Realizing how important your sleep is
  • taking naps together 
  • time outs
  • Leaving a store early because you are throwing a tantrum
  • Swimming lessons
  • Gymnastics
  • Soccer
  • Taking you to see the Easter bunny and Santa
  • Going to the mall to walk around
  • Chick Fil A
  • Cooking


I love this song below. Reminds me of how I feel for both of my children. 
Stand Still by Hillary Weeks
I’ve been taking pictures for a long, long timeSome are on paper – but most are in my mindSnapshots and memories of the days when you were youngI plan to keep themLong after you’ve grown and goneI remember watching as you took your first stepSeems the clock’s been running faster ever sinceEvery day a little taller, it says so on the wallThe days are passingAnd they’re not going to stopAnd if I couldI wouldAsk time to stand stillSo I could hold you a little longer
I'd make the minutes stopSo we would always have todayI won’t let the sun go downUntil you know how I feelI love you so muchI wish time could stand stillFingerprints all over the sliding glass doorAnd I can barely see underneath the toys on the floorI have wished away the sleepless nights, the noise and the messes madeBut my heart reminds meI'm gonna miss these daysSo if I couldI wouldAsk time to stand still

3 comments:

Todd Family said...

and i'm bawling...thank you very much! i still can't believe baby girl is going to kindergarten! it seriously feels like she was just born and pretty soon my baby girl will be doing the same thing and joce will be 10! ah! let's not think about that one! u are such an amazing mom and i pray i can teach my kids the way you have taught yours! joce will be strong! can't wait to hear all about it! please have her call me or better yet..let's skype! :) love u! (btw i totally remember that pic!)

Kristin Milius said...

She's so gorgeous!!'. Congrats Jocelyn!!

Kristin Milius said...

Jocelynn. Errr. Wouldn't let me add the other N.