Thursday, July 12, 2012

Making a House a Home - Sewing projects

 2 years ago I got a sewing machine. I loved it when I got it and love it still. I love it even more now that I've gotten to know it a lot in the past 6  months. My friend asked me to make her a crib sheet and these cute dolls out of the fabric. It was my first crib sheet and I loved doing it and learning and it was so easy. 
 Sewing takes a lot of time. I love it though. When my parents moved out in January I felt a little overwhelmed. For awhile we lived in boxes out of our condo, probably for about 6-7 months. Then we moved into my parent's home. I was anxious to decorate and have a place to call home. When they moved out it was feeling empty. We moved from a 950 square foot home to a 3100 square foot home. We aren't sure how long we will be here so I didn't want to go out and buy a lot of stuff but I also wanted a place where my kids felt like they had a nice home. I decided to get to work and sew. I found fabric I liked online.
 Originally I wasn't planning on the grey on the bottom but I made them too short. Making 5 panels of curtains, they are really long probably took me over 20 hours. It was a rough 6 months. I would get the kids to bed, study for an hour then work on curtains for an hour. Took me a couple months. I had to wash them iron, measure but I love them and they look beautiful. 
 I found a grey slip cover that works and I made this yellow pillow to bring out the yellow in the curtains. I have 4 more pillows to make, different fabric. 
I also painted these mattes, which I love. I have 4 of these. There are a couple more projects I've been working on, I'll post later. A later project is a wing back chair! I've saved a lot of money and I really feel like it's home! Heavenly Father answered a prayer not long ago when I asked him to help me make this house a home.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

That's awesome! I love budget friendly decorating:). The yellow mats are beautiful and I love the way they pull the yellow out of the curtains.