Sunday, September 11, 2011

My Brave Little Girl

I wanted to write this moment down before I forgot it. TOday I was proud of my little girl. Jocelynn has always been shy, and quiet. Of course, she is loud around us but as soon as someone would talk to her she keeps her lips sealed. Many times, hides behind my legs. I feel bad for her because I was that way when I was little. I didn't like it and I hated that I would get nervous just to answer someone question. I don't want her to feel the same as I did. As a baby, she would cry if others looked at her and only wanted me to hold her. When she was 3, we would go on walks and people would be outside, she would want to practice saying Hi to people. I told her okay, I'll say Hi and then you say it next. She would do it and be very proud of herself. She would also wave at cars and it would mean so much to her if someone waved back. THere are times she would say Hi to people and she would say "Mom they didn't say Hi." I remember doing that a lot in High School, I'd say Hi when I'd walk by people and they wouldn't hear me. I was old enough to laugh about it though.

Jocelynn gave her first talk in Primary months ago. She had the whole thing memorized. She got up took some deep breaths and did it all by herself. I couldn't believe it! Well now that are getting ready to do a sacrament program at church. I've learned with her that I can't talk to her about something coming up. She gets a lot of anxiety and very nervous! Last week they came and got me from class and she was crying. I convinced her to just sit there with her teacher. She didn't want to get up and say her part. The part was "I can listen to good music." Well today after sacrament she started crying a lot! I felt bad of course but we walked to the hall, her Daddy and me. I said Jocie you are being silly. Remember how you cried going to preschool and now you say that that was silly because there was nothing to cry about? This is nothing to cry about. I know you can do it. It's no big deal. Your teacher is there to help you. I want you to go in there and do it. You are brave! I thought for sure she'd say "No!!" I felt bad for pushing her. It was hard to say that. But she looked at me and said "Ok Mom!" She hugged me and her dad and I could have cried. She walked in there and I knew how hard it was for her. We left and then both wanted to see if she'd do it. She washolding tight to her teacher. We peeked in and she did it! She spoke on the microphone. We both got tears in our eyes. After church she said I did it mom, I did it! She was so proud of herself!! I was so proud of her.

2 comments:

aprilaleman said...

That almost brings tears to my eyes. What a sweet girl!

Sundbergs said...

What a sweet brave girl. I know it is so hard to try and push them out of their comfort area but then when they do it they are so proud. She is such a special girl. I am so proud of her give her a big hug for me.