Wednesday, May 26, 2010

ISR - Infant Swimming Resource

Since Jocelynn was a baby she didn't like taking a bath or being in water. Believe me, I tried everything, making the water shallow, more warmer, putting a heater in the bathroom, nothing worked. I got cries all the time, until she was about 9 months old. I got a huge inflattable duck that fit in the bathtub and that seemed to help. Over time, she has learned to like the water but is still a little afraid. She also lets me pour water over her head. She likes to be in control and the pool seems really big and over powering to her (I think). She's perfectly fine on the steps or if I'm holding her. Weeks ago after an hour at the pool she went out with her floaties. Last year I signed her up for a city pool class (mommy and me). That did not help at all. I could have done that with her. I heard of ISR through a friend of mine. I thought about it for weeks signing her up. It wasn't an easy decision. As a parent you try your best to make good decisions for your children. What will help them develop and grow but not pushing them too much. I was concerned that this would make her hate the water even more. I did my research though and was super impressed! Look below why I'm impressed! Also go to www.infantswim.com
It is everyday Monday through Friday for 5 weeks. 10 minutes everyday. We decided to sign her up after observing some lessons. We are in week 2 and here is a little bit about our experience. The first 2 videos are from her first day! The last one is her first day floating! She is doing so good!

Week one:
1st day - she was so excited to start swimming lessons. We observed a lesson and she even saw some kids crying and she still wanted to do it. She kept saying she wanted to be a sea lion! Instructor is amazing and started by putting her underwater and having her swim to the bar. So proud of herself when she got out and wanted to tell everyone she was swimming!
2nd Day - cried in the morning and didn't want to go. Made me sick to my stomach. Am I doing the right thing, I thought? After swim she was so proud of herself!
3rd and 4th Day - No crying and did great swimming under water to the bar (started to kick).
5th Day - Grandma Kirk came and she was smiling and showing off. First day of floating. Did awesome!

Week Two:
Day One - Instructor is working on floating this week but slowly giving her less and less support. She also started Dolphin rolls today. Jocelynn hated it and cried. Dolphin rolls are they are on their back and do a full roll in the water.


Why Impressed?
1. Only 10 minutes and the instructor checks temperature (pushing on bottom of foot) and how the child is doing. She has stopped lessons many days at 8 minutes.
2. 40 years of instruction
3. Very consistent, which children need
4. Provides understanding and confidence to your child.
5. Every day they add a little more for the child to learn.
6. Saves children's lives (they teach them to swim, float (to rest), swim)


3 comments:

Todd Family said...

oh jocelynn how we love you!! maybe we can go when we are down to see her? i remember taking her to your pool when we would watch her...she was a little scared wasn't she? she looks like she is doing awesome and getting the hang of it!! let's put her in the ocean now! :) jk

Jessica said...

she is doing so good! how much are the lessons, i guess i could just go to the wesite huh? lol i taught lessons for yyyyyeeeeeaaarrrss and also did the technique "stomach and face down, then roll to the back" once the kids learn how to do that they are sooo confident and can learn how to stroke after that!

Erin G. said...

That's awesome!! I wish we had something like that in St. George. I would love for Max to learn those things.