Monday, October 5, 2009

Letter to Jocelynn

My friend inspired me to write a letter to Jocelynn. She wrote a letter to her daughter on her 4th birthday and what a great thing to do! Thanks Susie!



My Dear Jocelynn, Jocie, Moo,

Two years ago today your Dad and I were on a walk to CVS. The walk was a long one and when I got home we stayed up talking and went to sleep. Who would have guessed 15 minutes later, my water broke and you were ready to make your entrance into this world. I can't believe it's been two years. The best two years of my life.

Jocelynn I want you to know how much I love you. You are the light of my life, the air I breathe, the water on a hot day :) Seriously though, I would do anything for you. Staying home with you has been everything I ever hoped it would be. I never knew how hard it would be but also so rewarding. I've learned these past two years that I need to be one step ahead of you for you to be happy. I need to put you to sleep before you're overly tired, feed you before you are hungry, have new activities for you to play before you are bored, protect you before you hurt yourself, play with you so you learn to share. I want you to know I try my best everyday as your Mother. I am not perfect but I love you. I have enjoyed every moment of being your mother. Even the sleepless nights and long days of you crying.

It has been a joy for me to get to know you these past two years. You are so smart, exquisite, determined, motivated, loving, sweet and kind. I only hope and pray that you will see yourself in the same light that your father and I see you. You have so much to offer the world and we hope in time you will see your true potential. You are a special daughter not only to us but your Heavenly Father. He knew you before you came to this earth and what you can become. I'm grateful for a Heavenly Father that trusted your Father and I to bring you up in this world. You are a special Daughter of God and we are so lucky to be your parents.

You love to play, sing, talk and I love to hear you speak. You have so much to say and I love to listen. I hope as you get older you continue to talk to me. Tell me your thoughts, feelings, sadness, joys, worries, and happiness. Your Father and I only want what's best for you. We will do our best to help you and guide you in the right direction. We wish we could protect you from all the heartache this world can bring but it's all part of the plan. We are all free to choose and I can only pray as your Mother that you will listen to the spirit and be guided by the Holy Ghost. There are many that will deceive you and make bad things look good and good things look bad. I can only hope and pray that those individuals will not have an influence over you. You are strong willed (if there's something you don't want to eat, you won't), determined (puzzles- you keep trying till you get it right), compassionate (if we hurt ourselves you ask if we are okay), smart (you recognized the letter "M" at McDonalds when you were 14 months old and recognized the stop sign as an octagon at a year and a half). You remind me a lot of myself. You are shy but once you are comfortable you come out of your shell. Growing up I was shy also but there are many advantages to this. I think I was very in tune to others because I was aware of my surroundings. I recognized someone getting their feelings hurt or a young girl crying in the corner because I was quiet yet observant. As you get older you will also see the opportunities to be someone's friend and reach out to those you recognize need some love because of the wonderful personality you have.

Always know that your Dad and I love you. I can't tell you enough how much you mean to me. I will always be your Mother and will always worry about you because I want you to be happy and I want what's best for you. I can't believe you are already two years old. Time has flown by. I want to treasure each moment and slow time down. I love the way you wake up in the morning calling my name and smiling when I walk in the room. I love cuddling you in my rocking chair before you go to sleep. I love playing with your little people with you and you asking me what everyone's name is. I love how you want to stand on a chair and want to see what I'm cooking. I love how you say "I did it!" whenever you've accomplished something. I love how you love being outside, in the dirt and running around (even if it's 100 degrees outside). I love to watch you smile and hear your laugh. I love the when you drop something or break something and you say "sorry mom." Don't ever grow up and when you do "don't ever be far!" Happy 2nd Birthday my baby girl!

I love you always,

Mom

3 comments:

Todd Family said...

so do i cry now or later? that was so touching Jenn! I don't want her to grow up! i'm sad just thinking about it! we love her so much and would have to say "ditto" to that...except put "Aunt Jessie" at the end! :) well and...i guess MY water didn't break when she was born! :)

IzzieGuire said...

OMG! Jenn that was soooooo beautiful! It made me cry! What a sweet sweet gesture...When she gets older, she will treasure that & generations to come!! I just might do the same with Makoa! :)

Unknown said...

This was beautiful Jenn.