Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Pursuit of Happyness


Weeks ago I got a call from James while he was at work. He said "Jenn they let Alex go!" Alex is over the department he works in. For the past 6 months his company has been doing a lot of lay offs. Fortunately, James has been safe. When James said those words to me, I immediately started to reflect on the night 6 months ago, James came home and said he didn't get the position that was open, Alex did.

James has worked so hard to get where he is. His first job at KFC. Since KFC, he has always had a job and slowly over the years has moved up. I thought for sure he would get this position 6 months ago. I was so confident about it. He would go in early, leave late, he's so smart. It was a perfect opportunity for our family. It could not have come at a better time for us. I was so wanting him to get the position but he didn't. That night I cried and I cried a lot. Not because I was disappointed in James, of course not! I was frustrated and disappointed that these individuals in these positions can not see the potential that James has and how hard he works. Why can't they see it? (I kept thinking). That night James put in the movie "The Pursuit of Happyness" He always puts this movie in when he is feeling like he needs a boost of inspiration. If you haven't seen the movie you should. It's about a man (real story) that was homeless and becomes very successful. 

I remember praying that night, praying for more faith, praying to press forward positively, praying that we might continue to put our trust in him. Since that time, so many people from his work has been let go, including a lot of management. I think about if James was given that new position, would he have been let go? I don't know but I feel grateful for all that I do have. I feel grateful to have a husband that works so hard so I can stay home with my children. I'm grateful for these experiences that draw us closer to our Heavenly Father. I feel blessed to have these moments in my life that I can truly reflect on what matters most. I will continue to put my trust in my Heavenly Father. There are reasons certain things happen in our lives. He definitely can see the bigger picture. We just need to "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy path. Proverbs 3:5"

1 comment:

Todd Family said...

thanks for this! i totally feel you. kev just found out that that HP position that Kev was applying for that he never got...well HP is laying off 30,000 people nationwide. ya..talk about a relief. it always works out. love you guys!